Sunday, November 20, 2005

Hot, hot, hot

In exactly 12 days, the National Finals Rodeo begins at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The top 15 contestants in each event make their way to Sin City for the biggest and best event in the sport. Ten days, 10 go-rounds, millions of dollars.

Besides the aforementioned Cord McCoy, several other friends and acquaintences will be competing. It's always fun to see buddies and those you've met play their game on the grandest stage available. I've been there two other times while covering the event in a day when Oklahoma's largest newspaper gave a crap about rodeo.

Ah, those were the days. But I digress.

There are several very interesting story lines that are part of this year's NFR, and over the coming days, I plan to report them here.

In the interim, let me tell those of you who don't know about the sport or just focus on the PBR about Matt Austin, the hottest bull rider going.

Austin easily beat the standing season earning's record, this before the high-paying NFR began. When Terry Don West set the standard two years ago, he earned much of his winnings before the NFR. Well, Austin surpassed West's total. And he might just set a mark this year that will be difficult to beat. He won big-time, stand-along, bull-riding events in Birmingham, Ala.; Nashville; Oklahoma City; and Fort Worth, Texas. Then he won the Xtreme Bulls National Finals.

Over the previous two days, Austin proved how hot he really is and how ready he is for the NFR to begin in less than two weeks. He won the Championship Bull Riding finals, adding $65,000 to his CBR earnings. He finished the CBR season with $85,359. In the PRCA, he's won $228,386. That's almost $314,000.

With all due respect to PBR champ Justin McBride, Austin's the hottest bull rider in 2005. Something drastic is going to have to happen for him to lose out on his first gold buckle.

McBride, for the record, earned his first PBR championship just weeks ago and deserved it as much as anyone I know. He's beein at the top of the game for a long time, and this year he broke through. And his final-round ride to secure the title was true grit and effort. I've always known him as a cowboy. That day, he proved it to thousands of others, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Teditor.

You and I have had our disagreements over at ER's place, but I do respect you. Really.

Besides, you and I are both Chiefs fans,and anyone who likes the Chiefs can't be all bad. :)

Mon Nov 21, 05:47:00 AM  
Blogger Teditor said...

Thanks, Mark. Not sure what to think of last night's game, other than knowing the Chiefs had better beat the one-win Texans. Of course, I thought they should've beaten the Bills last week, too.

I know this: The Tony Gonzalez jersey is packed away for the year. Only one time this year that I've worn that thing for an entire game have the Chiefs won. Against the Raiders, I had the jersey on, then my girlfriend told me I'd better take it off.

I did, and you know the result.

Mon Nov 21, 05:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say welcome to the blogosphere, cause I'n not a blogger. But blessings be upon your endeavor.

Rodeo, well I was raise on the Great Santa Rosa Round-up in Vernon, Texas. We went every year,to the parade down main street, and out to the arena.
Don't know if those boys were ranch hands or professional.
We sat as close to the front as we could aford or I could sneak into. Half of the fun was wandering out back to the tents and campers and corrals and soaking up cowboy.
Tried riding once, a yearling steer at my local town rodeo, I was a Junior in High school. Damn near broke my back and got steped on to boot. I went back to the spectator side of things, with more respect for the ones who did it right. Attend the NFR several times when it was in OKC, and I've been know to pull over and watch a local rodeo when I've been traveling. I still kind of prefer the rodeos with the calf doggin by the youngster and the greased pig chasing by the local Kawanas.
Once again blessings on your blog.

Mon Nov 21, 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home