Monday, November 28, 2005

What do you want with your Schneeberger?

I can’t rightly lie about this, so I’ll set the record straight.

For the longest time, I was jealous of Jerome Schneeberger. Tall, handsome, excellent athlete. But mostly, it was because I had a crush on his wife, Haley. I wanted a rodeo girl in my life, and Haley was a Kansan raised around rodeo and involved in her family’s rodeo production business, Rumford Rodeo Co.

She’s also a cutey. But, truth be told, Haley’s much more of a cowgirl than I could ever handle, and she and Jerome are a good fit. Besides, I’ve found a rodeo girl that’s a much better fit for me, so I have absolutely no complaints.

But let’s get back to Jerome, easily one of the best calf ropers going and quite possibly the best without a world title. He’s tall and quick and can rope the lights out of a building. He’s also personable and will do about anything for a friend, just as nearly every cowboy on the trail would do.

Jerome Schneeberger is having the best year of his career. Even with that, he’s third in the world standings heading into Friday’s first round of the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas. This marks the eighth time the Ponca City, Okla., cowboy has qualified as one of the top 15 calf ropers at the end of the regular season.

In 2001, he had the best 10 rounds of his NFR life and won the aggregate championship, finishing the season No. 2 in the standings. That year, Cody Ohl dominated the calf-roping standings and won the all-around championship even though he suffered a seriously torn knee in the ninth round of the NFR and didn’t compete in the final go-round.

Still, Schneeberger earned more than $169,000 that season. This year, he’s already pocketed $104,556, and he trails standings leader Fred Whitfield by $20,000. Two go-rounds and Schneeberger could make that up.

Jerome’s said numerous times that the arena at the Thomas & Mack just doesn’t fit him. Rodeo arenas all over the country are various sizes. For example, the arena at the Cheyenne (Wyo.) Frontier Days is a lot larger than the one in Guymon, Okla., and both are of different dimensions.

At the NFR, it’s basically the size of a basketball court.

But things might be changing for Schneeberger, who won the summer tour finale in Omaha, Neb., that’s a similar-sized pen to the one being used in Vegas.

I can easily see Jerome Schneeberger wearing the coveted gold buckle of a world champion. I can easily see it happening in the next two weeks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trixie said...

Go Jerome!!

Tue Nov 29, 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Dude, you HAVE to find a way to get paid for this stuff. It's insightful and good.

My Resistol's off to ya, and if you ever need a reference, I can attest to your journalistic ability as well as your workability with others -- others who aren't egotistical assholes anyway.

Wed Nov 30, 07:16:00 PM  
Blogger Teditor said...

ER, thanks. I'd love to make a living around rodeo. And I'll definitely use you as a reference.

Now it's nap time. I was up at the crack of 7 this morning to be at a meeting. Now you're probably laughing, but remember that I'm in freakin' Las Vegas, so goin' to bed early just doesn't happen. :-)

Fri Dec 02, 02:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home