Friday, December 09, 2005

Ah, employment

OK, so it's been four months since I was gainfully employed. Just had to leave the last job. It was killing my health and my sanity.

My passion has been rodeo, and I enjoy it thoroughly as I hope you can tell from the posts on this blog. Great people. Better stories.

But living in No Man's Land, I've found a place to play for pay at the Guymon newspaper. My first assignment, which I gave myself, was a quick hit from the National Finals Rodeo. I'll have NFR stories the rest of the week. That'll work for me.

It's not the dream job I've hoped to find, but it's going to pay the bills -- until I win that damn Powerball lottery.

Back to rodeo, though. My buddy, Cord McCoy, spent three days on the shelf after separating his shoulder Sunday night. He probably shouldn't ride again for a month or so, but the NFR offers a paycheck unlike any other in ProRodeo. He returned Thursday night and scored an 83-point ride.

I sent him a text message: "You are a cowboy!" Tough, I say, to strap your body to another bull when your shoulder is so severely damaged. His response? "OUCH."

Whether he'll continue to compete has yet to be seen. I'll attach an update as soon as I know.

He's not the only cowboy in the field who's trying to compete with an injury. Calf ropers Cody Ohl and Mike Johnson have torn groins, bull rider Jason McClain suffered a concussion in Round 3, bareback riders ... well, they just hurt all the time at this point of the 10-day affair that wraps Sunday.

Let's put it this way: If ANY of these injuries would've happened to professional basketball, football or baseball players, they'd be on the injured list still picking up their hundreds of thousands while laid up on the sidelines. Cowboys only make money when they win, and they can't win if they don't compete.

Tune in to ESPN and ESPN2 this weekend to see these tough suckers compete.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trixie said...

Employment? I think I remember that word but my memory IS getting a little fuzzy after three years. Congrats on getting a bill-paying gig at least! Keep up the good rodeo reporting too. It's great!

Fri Dec 09, 07:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job. I think...... Always nice to pay the bills. Thanks for the blogs on rodeo. That school in Lawerence has alway been of suspect education.

Mon Dec 12, 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home