Monday, December 12, 2005

Record-breaking performance

The following is a story that was written for publication in the Guymon Daily Herald, but, alas, the sports editor that is just months out of college decided to cut the story where it ended on the page instead of editing the story down to size. He's young and inexperienced, but this is basic editing 101 that the boy should've learned in college. I guess they don't teach that at the University of Kansas.

So in order to get the rest of the information out there, I'll file it here, too. I hope you enjoy.


Billy Etbauer broke a National Finals Rodeo earnings record, but Jeffrey Willert broke the bank.

Etbauer earned $120,775 after 10 days at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas to better the mark of $117,745 he set at last year’s championship. Then the 23-year-old Willert one-upped the veteran Etbauer by breaking the season earnings mark en route to the world championship.

For his part, Willert also surpassed the NFR record set last December, pocketing $118,630. That, combined with his regular-season best $159,539, allowed the Belvidere, S.D., cowboy to finish 2005 with $278,169.

“I don’t think it has really sunk in yet,” said Willert, who surpassed the $236,031 Canadian Glen O’Neill set in 2002. “It is hard to beat Billy (Etbauer) and Cody (DeMoss) and them guys. I am sure that my dad, grandparents and the whole town of Belvidere is excited, but it really hasn’t sunk in yet.”

Etbauer spent time in the Oklahoma Panhandle during his 18-year ProRodeo career, traveling with brothers Danny and Robert and friend Craig Latham, who all still live in Goodwell. Willert attended Panhandle State from 2000-03, where he was a stellar athlete.

“He could’ve easily won the college championship, but he went to the (ProRodeo) tour finale instead of the college finals that one year,” said Latham, Panhandle State’s rodeo coach. “He just blossomed early, and there’s no doubt in my mind he could’ve won the college title. But he was looking to make the NFR that first year, and he eventually did.”

Like the Etbauer brothers, Tom Reeves and countless other bronc riders, Willert made his way from South Dakota to this region to ride bucking horses.

“My freshman year in high school, my cousin and I went down there to the bronc riding school,” Willert said last week from Las Vegas, referring to the Deke Latham Memorial Bronc Riding school that takes place each spring in Goodwell. “That was when I decided I wanted to go there.

“That’s what every young kid needs is getting on practice horses like we got on. I didn’t go there for school. I went there to learn to ride broncs and rodeo.”

He’s still a young kid, especially compared to Etbauer, the 42-year-old five-time world champion who finished this season No. 3 in the final standings. Only Louisianan Cody DeMoss stood between him and Willert.

“I just finally figured out I couldn’t keep up with that Billy,” said Latham, who has stepped away from competitive bronc riding to focus on his coaching duties. “It’s no wonder I had a hard time beating him. To still be going that good at his age … he’s amazing. He’s somebody you pattern yourself after.

“In my opinion, there’s not a more aggressive guy in bronc riding ever.”

Willert agreed.

“Billy is the main guy, just because he’s still going,” Willert said. “He’s still riding better than anybody else.”
Bret Franks, a three-time NFR qualifier from Goodwell who served as rodeo coach at Panhandle State for some time, recognizes the similarities between Willert and Etbauer, world titles not withstanding. Both work hard, and both are extremely talented.

“When he started at school, Jeff had the talent to ride broncs quick,” Franks said. “He rode good right from the start.
“I think ol’ Bill’s the best bronc rider that ever lived, and I want him to have more titles than anybody else.”

Etbauer’s five gold buckles trail just two other cowboys, Casey Tibbs and Dan Mortensen, who both have six bronc-riding world titles. Mortensen, 37, is still competing. Willert has played on ProRodeo’s grand stage three years, so there’s a good chance he could reach those lofty heights.

And he’s got good reason to stay out on the rodeo circuit chasing those dreams.

“This is what I love and what I want to do,” Willert said. “I want to ranch for a hobby and rodeo for a living. And my family’s behind me. My dad would rather see me out rodeoing instead of being back home haying or calving cows.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home