Sunday, February 26, 2006

An engaging topic

I didn't want to post earlier, though I've given some hints. On Saturday, Feb. 25, 2005, at the Guymon Pioneer Days Rodeo raffle/dinner/dance fund-raiser, I proposed to the love of my life.

And she said yes. Go figure.

I'd worked it out that since both of us are in management on the rodeo committee that the group of managers be introduced. I had envelopes made up, and each manager was given one from the committee chairman.

Since she and I are to be moving in the coming weeks and she's been such a key member of the committee, they took time to present her with a poster-plaque commemorating her years of service. Then they handed the mic over me, and I gave the cue. Envelopes opened to the words "(love of my life)" "Will" "You" "Marry" "Me?"

I was holdin' the last sign, of course, and got on a knee. In her envelope was a large "YES!" (for those that know, it was 300-point type). On the other side was an itty bitty "no" (6-point type). She held up the big side, thankfully.

The best part of it is that many people knew what was going on, mainly because I wanted her friends to be there for it. They all kept the secret.

She was surprised, happy, in tears. I was in tears, too, but that's 'cause I'm a sap.

But it was a great evening.

Oh, and not quite as cool but still cool: The guy who won the $5,000 raffle gave it back to the rodeo committee. We raised good money. But this is the richest rodeo in Oklahoma, so we needed to do that.

Folks, I'm a blessed, blessed man. I've found the love of my life, and she says she will be my bride. I await the next venture in my life.

9 Comments:

Blogger Trixie said...

Congratulations on this next big landmark in your life, Teditor!! Things are looking so good for you now and will only get better now that a woman will be in charge!! Yay!

Sun Feb 26, 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Dude! Congrats!
What good news!
I put out an "extra" for ya!
:-) :-) :-)

Sun Feb 26, 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger TStockmann said...

Many happy years for the both of you.

Sun Feb 26, 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

That is so wonderful. Congratulations! And best wishes for a long life together.

Sun Feb 26, 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Teditor said...

Thank you all. I'm purty dadgum excited.

Sun Feb 26, 06:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

That is a great way to propose! :)

Sun Feb 26, 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger Rem870 said...

Congrats.

Mon Feb 27, 11:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teditor my friend, I have been married to the same woman for 39 years come this summer. Actually she has turned into a number of different women over time, but that is another advice column. Yes you can tell her you love her and all that stuff, but there is only one thing to do and one thing to say and you will stay married till death does you part.
Do: Turn over all of your money to her every payday. All of the money mind you, all of it.
Say: Always say, "What ever you say dear."
Do that and live well and long and happly married.

Tue Feb 28, 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger Teditor said...

Sounds like sage advice, Doc.

Wed Mar 01, 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home