Thursday, April 13, 2006

A little closer to home ...

Well, my friends, the love of my life is back home, and we're one step closer to our new home.

No, we haven't decided as to when the nuptials will take place, nor have we decided how they will happen either. I'd just as soon she and I were hitched, but we're in a level of transition as is. Our new place -- which we're renting -- won't be available until after May 1.

In the interim, though, the love of my life and I will head back to Guymon for the best dadgum rodeo in Oklahoma, the Guymon Pioneer Days Rodeo. Though I'm a tad bit biased because I've put in a number of man hours marketing the damn thing, I have to admit this: Last year, I made it to the short go-round, and it was THE VERY BEST final go-round of any regular-season rodeo I'd ever been to. There were nearly a dozen stock contractors, dozens of the best bucking animals around and the very best contestants in ProRodeo.

As for my favorite rodeo, well, I still love that one in Pretty Prairie, Kan., which helped lead me out of the black hole that is my former job. Wonderful people, a town excited about its annual event, great friends. Good times, y'all.

If'n ya like good rodeo, Guymon's the place to be the first weekend in May. Look me up. We'll blow the froth of a few. After all the volunteer work I put into that event, I damn sure plan to enjoy my weekend. I'll be plenty busy, but I'll enjoy it all the same. And the best part, the love of my life will be there with me.

She, too, has been part of the rodeo committee, which is how we met. She's been a big part of the volunteer group for a number of years, and I'm sure she's a little sad to go.

But she's so dadgum happy to be home. Her folks' basement is what we're callin' home until we can get moved into our place, and though it's a little cramped, it's fantastic that they're letting us call it home. Of course, they've got their 4-year-old granddaughter to hang out with, so I'm sure that helps matters plenty.

Our computer situation is limited, since I don't have access at the future in-laws' and our antiquated Mac-based system is in dire need of an overhaul at work, so my posts will be few and far between. But I'll tell you this: Maryville, Mo., is a wonderful community, and I'm thankful I'm here.

God bless, and rejoice in Easter.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang it -- I'm going to miss Pioneer Days and all. It's always my dad's birthday and I usually trek home for the BBQ on Friday, the rodeo, Parade, rodeo, parties, long leisurely food fests, more BBQ, and, well, the rodeo. Plus, it's always nice to go down to the farm and see how the wheat is doing.

Thu Apr 13, 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I've never been to the Guymon rodeo, and have always wanted to .... Hmmm.

Thu Apr 13, 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger Teditor said...

Braingirl,

Sorry you'll miss Pioneer Days. I've only ever been to the rodeo, but had we stayed in Guymon, we would've taken in all the festivities. We still might, some way, though because I'll be handling the media relations for the entire weekend, I might have my hands full.

As for the wheat: Don't think you'll be missin' much. Last weekend when I made the 20-hour round trip to move the love of my life, you could surely tell where the spots in Kansas were that had received "enough" rain. But the closer you got to Liberal -- and beyond -- you could sure see what the drought has done to the crop.

Still, though, if anyone's wheat has done anything anywhere, there's likely to be a good price for it, because a good portion of the Wheat Belt likely won't produce much.

ER, I honestly think you'd consider the trip worth it. Hey, you could visit with Hadley. He'll be there.

Fri Apr 14, 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger Trixie said...

Maryville is a beautiful place. I'm glad you like it. I might be up to see the smattering of relatives I have near Platte City, Mo., sometime in May. I'm waiting for my cousins to let me know their plans for a family gathering.

Sun Apr 16, 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Teditor said...

Cool,

Give me a ringadingding. As long as it's not the first weekend in May, since I'll be in Guymon. :-)

Mon Apr 17, 07:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home