Friday, May 12, 2006

A good week in Guymon

Funny how things get thrown around in circles.

Take last week in Guymon, for example. Here I was, busy as a beaver doing all I need to do to get things done, information sent to media outlets, letting folks know what was happening at the rodeo. I see a number of friends, I visit, I move on.

One friend in particular, steer wrestler Spud Duvall of Checotah, Okla., says, "How's it going, you ol' blogger?"

Say what? How many people know about this site? I mean, when I was unemployed and needing a writing outlet, this was the place to go. But the submissions have been far too far in between.

Before I took this gig in Maryville, I had already committed to being in Guymon for the rodeo. Folks around here don't seem to understand my following through on that deal and wondered how the hell I got vacation after just two months on board. Ah, therein lie the facts of when I accepted the position -- I had certain committments I had to follow through on, and I obtained the approval by my boss.

And while I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the visits and watching one of the best rodeos in America, it wasn't exactly a vacation. There were numerous details that had to be carried out, people to assist, helping with radio interviews, setting up other plans, doing some visits on the radio myself. I was awakened one morning at 7:50 by some radio station down state so that I could do a live interview about the Guymon Pioneer Days celebration.

It was all over before I even realized what I said, and truth be told, I know very little about the overall celebration -- I signed up for the rodeo, but I was tagged with the marketing duties of the whole deal. Never been to the Guymon parade or the merchantile or the Old Timer's breakfast, and I'd barely ever driven by the fairgrounds, so that was somewhat of a mystery in its own right.

Rain forced our hand on Friday night, but a hundred or so brave souls waded through a downpour to see the rodeo. On Saturday, it cleared by mid-afternoon, and that night's crowd -- and that of the Sunday televised round -- were phenominal. BTW, check your local listings for the Fox Sports Network near you. FSN Midwest will air the Guymon rodeo at 8 p.m. Monday, while FSN Southwest will air it at 8 p.m. Thursday.

Check it out, and see why I'm proud of that rodeo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home