Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Man, that's a Pretty Prairie

I have a confession to make. I'm an addict.

My drug of choice? The Pretty Prairie, Kan., annual rodeo. It's this week in the beautiful little community in southwest Reno County, about 20 minutes from Hutchinson and 40 minutes west of Wichita. I've been coming this this spectacular event for 10 years, and since 2000, I've spent a week vacationing in my little rodeo paradise.

So why is it that 100-plus-degree heat in the middle of July in a community that's smack dab centrally located in the Wheat Belt is my version of paradise?

Because I tell other people's stories, or in this case, I help others tell those stories. Television stations. Radio Stations. The Wichita Eagle. The Hutchinson News. They get to tell their viewers, listeners and readers all the fantastic things that are happening and tell about the people who produce, who compete, who volunteer their time each year.

Have you ever seen a small town explode? Pretty Prairie does that each year. The community of about 650 grows at least 25 times its size for four days each July. Rodeo week brings out all sorts -- those originally from Pretty Prairie who come home or those from Wichita itching for something fun or those from the many area communities taking in some family time or rodeo folks eager to watch one of the better medium-size rodeos in the region. You've got cowboy hats and starched Wranglers walking next to someone in Daisy Duke cutoffs and flip-flops.

Mostly, you've got people laughing and talking and celebrating smalltown Americana. It's absolutely beautiful.

So this week I'm in my own paradise. My lovely wife of 11 days had to stay back home in Maryville until this weekend, when she will join me, toting her (our) 4-year-old daughter and my mother- and father-in-law. I miss my love, but she knows how important this week is to me.

After all, an addict is always seeking his drug of choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

That must be one pretty prairie, considerin' that you have a new bride at home!

Thu Jul 20, 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Teditor said...

It's only four days, ER. 'Sides, we met because of rodeo. If'n she didn't have to work, she'd be right here with me.

Thu Jul 20, 08:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home